Monday, March 24, 2008

Sweet Sleep

I have about 20 minutes before I wake my sleeping child. Anna Beth suffers from Allergies and asthma. The last few days have been every difficult for her and in return for us. With all of the flowers in bloom, she has been coughing for 3 days straight. She has no congestion, just a dry cough. As a result, she has not been able to get good rest for the last 3 nights until last night. We have been starting her out in her own bed but for some reason her cough is less frequent when she is in our room, so she usually lands in our bed around midnight. We just can't take listening to her struggle all night! We have been doing breathing treatments every 4 hours which means there are times that we are up at 3 am giving her a treatment.

Last night started out the same with her coughing about every 3 minutes in her sleep. I could not take it anymore and after seeing my tears Brian said to go get her. After getting her settled in our bed, Anna Beth finally settled down. I lay there next to her waiting for the next cough and praying in between them. They started getting farther and farther apart so I began praying, Lord, just let her get 1 hour of deep sleep before the next cough! He answered my prayer and she slept sound from about 1 am on. She pushed me out of the bed around 3 am so I went off to the spare room to get some sleep. I did not care as long as that child got some real sleep.

Brian and I got up and were getting ready for work this morning and she continued to sleep so peacefully that I emailed my boss and let her know that I was going to let Anna Beth sleep in for a bit and I would be in late. (I have a great boss and flexible schedule). It is almost 9 am now and I need to get her up and going. I really hope that she does better in the next few days!

No comments: