Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Me Vs. Spider

Monday morning showed such promise as I grabbed my stuff and hit the door headed to work. cruising along the back-roads, quietly preparing my heart for the day and then....I saw it! A spider, a small brown, creepy thing that had the strength of 10 football players. At some point during the night, that THING had moved into my side mirror. I stared at it and my skin began to crawl. I watched as it held on despite the fact that it was blowing along in its web at speeds of 40 mph. Slowly it worked its way to the corner of the mirror and climbed in behind it. It was safe! Safe from certain death and I knew that my commute was going to be filled with terror till that thing moved out.

Each morning and evening this week, I spend 45 minutes to an hour with one eye on that mirror and one eye on the road. The web grows and with it my imagination. For 3 days and nights I have trekked from one side of town to the other, carefully taking notes of the best places to pull over in case an escape was needed. I have places going and coming in case that spider makes its way inside my vehicle. I have 3 planned escape routes to get out of the vehicle. I have mentally walked through how quickly I could stop the car and bail. I did realize during this careful planning that the optimal would have been to also have a sun roof in my car. At some point I realized that my ability to get myself in worse situations would occur with a sun roof. I pictured myself attempting to climb out of the top of the car and in the process getting stuck. That freakishly strong spider could then climb my leg and get stuck in my pants. In the end, I realized that not having a sun roof was God's divine intervention from a fate worse than death!

I am held prisoner by this small spider that loves to play the innocent. My window cannot be rolled down. I lay awake at night planning out my responses to the worst case scenarios with this THING and feeling as though it is crawling on me! Only time will tell who will win this battle but I will be mentally tortured till it is over!

No comments: