Monday, March 5, 2018

Thirteen...




 My sweet girl…today you turn thirteen and I am still as in awe of you as I was the day I found out you were coming. You were a miracle to me, one that I never thought I would be a part of and I am so grateful God knit you together, making me your momma.

 

You have faced hard things this year and in years past. You have walked a path at times that others your age have not. But it has also given you an incredible perspective and empathy for others that are walking through hard things. I have seen/heard you ask hard questions so you can define your faith and position. I have watched you be unwilling to change or bend to become “typical.” I have seen you fight the battle of conforming to a group of followers and instead blaze new paths. You are a leader which is often misunderstood for controlling. You are learning to identify your weaknesses and work to strengthen them. This year I have watched you become discouraged but you are working hard to keep fighting the hard thing. I have watched you work at learning how to balance respect while standing for what is right.

 


I admire your ability to talk to strangers and befriend them. While your cats drive me crazy, I love the way you adore them. I find your obsession with Star Wars, Lilo and Stitch, rocks, and even Build A Bear endearing. I find the way you see deep meaning in simple things stunning. I am grateful that you seek mine and your daddy’s counsel rather than running to unsafe places, even when it can be embarrassing or hard. While your level of energy often exhausts me, I smile and cannot imagine you being different. Thank you for loving your brother with such fierceness. Thank you for praying for God to bring him into our family and then celebrating the change rather than mourning your loss of being an only child.

 


You make me shake my head each time you incur a new injury and yet you also amaze me at your genuine toughness. From walking on a fractured knee for two weeks to falling from the top of a jungle gym and never shedding a tear. You have more resolve to fight through pain than many men I know. On the flip side I have seen you weep over a hamster that was suffering. While I may at times grow weary of the amazing volume of words you can say in under five minutes, I love that you want to share all those thoughts with me.

 


I want you to know that I am always praying over you. That I am committed to being a prayer warrior for you. I pray each day that you are aware of Jesus’s presence and that you live out that life of integrity. I pray that you are kind and others see Jesus in your countenance. My hope is that my walk with Jesus is evident to you and that you are also learning to walk in constant communication with Him. I pray you can learn to identify our Father’s work in your life each day, not just in the big hard things but in the small ones as well. May you find contentment and joy in simply being in communion with your heavenly Father. Don’t forget to lean into Him when you are tempted to fix things on your own. Remember that failing well and accepting grace is just as important as being right. Don’t ever be so content in your relationships that you stop working on them. Everything with value takes nurturing.

 




I am proud of you. For who you are now, not who you will be but in this moment… I am proud of you. I will always love you and will be a safe place for you. I love being your momma, even the hard work of that thing I call being a parent. You were created for the specific purpose of glorifying Jesus so keep your eyes set on that goal. I will be right there with you…also failing, also receiving grace, and encouraging you forward.  Happy Birthday my sweet girl! You are celebrated, cherished, and loved beyond your imagination!

No comments: