Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Reflection in the Mirror

Today I stood in the mirror, staring at my shell. Tears poured down my face as I no longer recognized the girl looking back at me. It was more than just the bald head and the scared chest. It is the identity built into my accomplishments. I am not the mom that I once was. I can no longer chase my daughter through the house and have pillow fights. There are times I cannot even sit at the kitchen table and do homework with her. The housewife in me no longer exists. My home used to be clean, (most of the time), my laundry done, creative meals cooked. As a wife, I was a help-mate, a best friend, and spontaneous. Now, Brian has become my care-taker. As an employee, I was driven, worked hard and was very detail oriented. Then there was the creative side of me, that loved to teach kids, paint, decorate. Today in the mirror, I saw an emptiness. A woman that has to take a break while going up the stairs. A woman that is tired and sick all the time.

As I stared and wept, I asked God what is my identity to be now? Even when this is over, will I ever be the same? It was almost as though I could hear His voice saying, "I am to be your identity!" I realized that my desire should not to be the same person after this is over but it should be the cross.

Oswald Chambers wrote, "We think too often of the Cross of Christ as something we have to get through, yet we get through for the purpose of getting into it. The cross represents only one thing for us- complete, entire, absolute identification with the Lord Jesus Christ- and there is nothing in which identification is more real to us than prayer."

What do I want people to see in my mirror? I want them to see total surrender to God. I want them to see a woman that talks with God and listens for His voice. I want them to see humility and gratefulness.

Yes, I am losing me in this process but I am learning that this is exactly where God wants me. In losing me, I can be a better mom, housewife, friend and employee. I still weep out of humanness and exhaustion. I still long to be able to give to my family and friends but God has given me the gift of time. Time to be alone with Him in the quiet of my home. Time to reflect on His goodness and mercies that He has extended to me.

No comments: