Wednesday, June 20, 2018

The Scars of a Legalistic Christianity


Years ago, in another life, I traveled with a ministry that was revival centered. I thought this was going to be an incredible experience of growing deeply in the Lord and serving in a Children’s Pastor role. We traveled to a new church every two to three weeks and completely took over their services, children, and youth areas. Those three years of living on the road for ten months out of every year ended up being some of the darkest of my life.

 

Those three years almost caused me to walk away from any church association forever. Strangely enough, it was not the people that we ministered to that broke me; it was the leadership that I traveled with, supported, and took counsel from that caused the most harm. Early on I came to understand that leadership was our judge and jury. They were not there to actually invest in you as an individual, they were there to keep you in line and make sure that you did not tarnish the image of the ministry. There were long lists of rules, daily meetings that sent us into introspection for deeply rooted sin, and an overall sense of damnation. Before you assume I am being overly dramatic…one of the nights during the meetings, we actually taught the churches to walk through a list of sins, check each one that they had ever committed, and pray thoroughly for forgiveness. We were encouraged to go through this “sin list” weekly. My walk with the Lord quickly became exhausting, self-deprecating, and all grace had been removed.

 

I quickly became dubbed a “problem child”…was accused of things I had never done and disciplined accordingly. In the three years I served with this ministry I was moved to three different teams and apparently my “reputation” preceded me. I developed anxiety to such a level that I developed an auto-immune disorder which was interpreted as a way to seek attention. I considered suicide, I cried myself to sleep almost nightly, and I prayed for death or a rescue. In the end, I was given an ultimatum and chose to walk away from a ministry that I had felt called to serve in.

 

Not everyone in this ministry had this same experience but there were some that did and it was hard to recover from. In hindsight, I should have never been a part of such a ministry. Previous wounds from past experiences had made me vunerable and ill-prepared to deal with such a legalistic environment. Memories of this time recently came to the surface again through a discussion at church with my tribe and also being in contact with someone that is still a part of this ministry. Before I was prepared for it, emotions of brokenness welled up within me.

 

I don’t share this to bash a ministry that I once was a part but it reminded me as a parent, as a believer, as someone who is part of a body of Christ, do I fall into the trap of legalistic behavior? I struggle with this because I was raised in such an environment. I sometimes project this on my children and others…on of my greatest fears is that I will turn my children’s hearts away from Jesus in the effort of helping them become perfect Christians. I want to shower people with love dripping in grace. Can my children see discipline as an act of love because I am doing it the right way or am I damaging Christ’s reputation with my tongue? We as parents and believers are first called to love and then teach. I want to raise up people who share the love of their Father. I want them to be so intimately aquainted with their Father’s heart that others are drawn to Jesus.

 

 I am a broken individual with incredibly deep scars but my heart yearns to love my family and others. I still run from hurt and stay away from strong individuals that I fear their judgement…BUT God is teaching me still. Even at the age of forty-five God is growing me in my faith and my relationship with Him continues to deepen. I was not broken beyond his healing power…no one is and there is incredible mercy in knowing that.

No comments: